Monday, September 04, 2006

I need to read more

I've got a couple to jot notes about, but I need to get moving. Not completely sure why I've gotten stalled--I've got lots of books I'm interested in just lying around, but I haven't been turning the pages lately. I hope for more progress this week.

Kid Eternity is written by Grant Morrison and drawn (perhaps painted?) by Duncan...um...Fegredd, if I'm reading my scrawled note correctly. The artwork is rich and creepy, but the story, like many of Morrison's, isn't very satisfying to me. He avoids ending up in postmodern limbo and at least takes the story to a conclusion, which is something. But it's supposed to be a horror story, and horror stories kind of need the lines between good and bad to be clear. But here they seemed really arbitrary, and pretty suspicious: order is bad, chaos is good. Don't we need some of each? And shouldn't the good guys be the ones who don't kill people? Not sure if this is worth a mention on a bib or not. It's got a couple of interesting bits and good art, but so do a lot of other things.

Stassen's Deogratias: a Tale of Rwanda is clearly a short-list contender. The non-linear story will challenge some readers, but the pieces all fit together to show us just how bad it was, and to illustrate how some people who set out to do right end up giving in to the pressure and becoming part of the problem. This is an important book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home