Monday, August 21, 2006

Isaac the Pirate, part 1

Isaac the Pirate 1. To Exotic Lands by Christophe Blain

This is a beautiful book. The subtle colors are especially impressive, and the page where the sailors encounter aurora australis is amazing, both beautiful to look at and very carefully (and effectively) designed. It's an interesting mix of styles especially in the faces: some are very cartoony, but a few give a more realistic impression.

The more accurate title would be Isaac the Jewish Painter who Joins Some Sailors Who Turn Out To Be Pirates Turned Explorers. I suppose that gets to be a bit of a mouthful. But there isn't much piracy and limited fighting. But there's a lot of interesting stuff about how lives go and what people think and how the act and how they justify their actions.

What there isn't is completeness. This is a multi-volume work, and I don't think this volume can be studied alone except as a source of examples of certain things, but I should keep my eyes open for it in case I can get it cheap, and I need to see how long the whole series is--if it's just two books, it could go on the list of options for individual projects.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mac McCool said...

Love this series! It has the spontaneity of a sketchbook. Lively, fun, accurate, unpredictable. The coloring is solid too.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Mac McCool said...

I love this series. I has the spontaneity of a sketchbook! Lively, fun, quick, authentic, sharp, unpredictable. The colors do a great job supporting the story too.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home